Saturday, October 1, 2016

October 2016 Netgalley Reviews

One Summer of Surrender by Jess Michaels
3 1/2 star review
I always eagerly await every new release by Jess Michaels. She consistently sets up the next story so well that you feel connected to the main characters before opening to page one. This was especially the case with Elise, the Duchess of Kirkford,  and Lucien, the Earl of Stenfax.  There had been so much of their past described and clear emotional wounds laid out in previous books that I had no idea how Michaels would heal their brokenness in this novel.
There was a lot of animosity from Lucien and his family towards Elise. She accepted it so readily because of her own misguided guilt over leaving him for the horrible Duke if Kirkford. She then had to suffer at the hands of the dead Duke' s brother, Ambrose. It was through the maneuvering of Ambrose that Lucien and Elise were reacquainted.
The depth of their past love was well described but it took a little to longer for me to believe their new feelings were as strong as the old. It seemed as though to the very end they were still trying to work out their relationship out. While the believability was there I wanted more from these two who had been through so much.

Hero: B
Heroine: B
Storyline: B-
Romance: B
Side Characters: B+
Heat Level: 3 out of 5 stars ( perfectly steamy)

The Viscount's Mistress by Claire DuLac
5 star review
This novel was so gripping in its emotional intensity that I have a hard time believing, Claire DuLac, is a debut author. The connection developed in a youthful friendship between Gillette and Lawrewnce (Viscount of Glenrith) that was sustained through the years by hidden letters written to one another was brilliant.  The focus on the importance of the friendship they had and the desire never to lose that had me close to tears the entire story. Violette stole the show for me. She had a great life that went the way of Cinderella. The fact she remained so strong, brought about by what her parents instilled in her and the youthful hope she had in Lawrence, made her into a tough- -as-nails determined heroine.  The fact that it was Lawrence who was the one that had to rip that foundation from her (through a plan put in place by his louse of a father) was heart wrenching. I felt at one point Lawrence handled things so poorly by his unintentional verbal insults, which finally broke Violette's hard fought spirit, that I felt he didn't deserve her. Luckily throughout the story the internal dialogue of the hero and heroine kept me rooting for them. Lawrence still deserved to grovel more but that is why epilogues are always appreciated (as this one had).

Hero: B (actually A but he made me infuriated at one point)
Heroine: A+ (my favorite heroine in a long time)
Storyline: A
Romance: A
Friendship: A+ (best element of the book)
Heat Level: 3 out of 5 stars (just right)

The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides #6) by Valerie Bowman
3 1/2 star review
The humor in the first meeting between Lady Sarah Highfield and Mr. Forester (aka Viscount Berkeley) drew me in. The description of Fergus and Fergus II was hilarious! I am glad this Goldilocks-like beginning was able to capture all the wonderful qualities of the two characters.  Upon learning of Christian's elevated status and returning to London, I was disappointed that Sarah turned into such a push-over who ran when anything became difficult. The way she took charge of the circumstances surrounding her unwanted proposal was endearing but as she stuck to her parents wishes despite her obvious better options was a let down. I did love how their story concluded and was back to finding them all to be charming at the end. I also can't do without mentioning my excitement to see Lucy back in action and up to her old tricks with even more help from a great group of friends.

Hero: A+
Heroine: A+ to C and then to an A
Storyline: B
Romance: B+
Side Characters: A+ (every scene with any and/or all of them was perfect)
Heat Level: 2 out of 5 stars (mild to steamy)

A Rogue to Avoid by Bianca Blythe
3 star review
The thing I have enjoyed about both this book and the previous, How to Capture a Duke, is the time spent on building a relationship/friendship. I loved the quirky humor in the previous book in the series but this had its moments. Cordelia matured rather quickly and I felt bad for the type of marriage she was planning to settle on. I was glad Gerard was as to get a look at her true character as they went out on what ended up being a long adventure.  The rising and falling action involving Cordelia' s father and henchman were not as believable and a bit over-the-top for my liking.

Her Wicked Highlander by Jennifer Haymore
4 star (novella standard) review
I must say for a novella I was impressed.  Jennifer Haymore has done a wonderful job in the previous Highland Knight series and this kept pace. Yes, the love story went from zero to sixty but that is to be expected in this genre. What doesn't always happen is the character development and what leads them to act/feel the way they do.  I fully understood the loneliness of Aila with the loss of most of the people she grew close to. Her actions with Max made sense in that regard.  The story with the villain was flushed out and later resolved in a dramatic scene with the hero and heroine both coming to one another's aid. Max' s background could have been detailed more but I think the reader got a good glimpse of his heart and motivations. Enjoyable, light read.

Hero in the Highlands by Suzanne Enoch
3 star review 
Hero in the Highlands is an aptly named title. I loved Major Gabriel Forrester and the strength and fortitude he exemplified as a soldier. The element of humor from the buttons to the cow fiasco was perfect. Sadly, just as the heroine, Fiona, tried to get Gabriel lost in the bog so went the story. It was bogged down with the focus on the sheep mystery leaving the humor and romance to the wayside. By the time it picked up I didn't feel the strong romantic connection.  I wish the book title carried its weight from beginning to end.

Hero: A
Heroine: C
Storyline: C+
Romance: C+
Heat Level: 2 out of 5 stars (mild to steamy)

Veiled in Blue (The Emperor's of London #6) by Lynn Connolly
3 1/2 star review
In a first for me I started this book without realizing it was the sixth book in a series. I feel accomplished that I overcame enough of my OCD to continue reading. Maybe it was a reward for my triumph because I did enjoy the book. The characters were well matched despite their class difference. I could have used some more groveling from Julius' after deceiving Eve by hiding the fact he was Lord Winterton. lt also bothered me at first with Julius' constant reference to Eve's beauty but after awhile I found it substantiated his likely natural traits being how he was brought up around opulence and beauty. I do feel I missed some nuisances that would have led me to enjoy the book even more by not reading the story in order but not enough to keep me from going back and starting with the first book. This will likely be a re-read only because I can't overcome my OCD that much to not finish the series from beginning to end.

Hero: B
Heroine: B+
Storyline: B+
Romance: B
Heat Level: 3 out of 5 Stars (steamy but tame)

No comments:

Post a Comment